Friday, March 25, 2011

". . . as a hen gathereth her chickens under her wings"


Today when I woke up, the skies were dark and stormy. The affairs of the world have been dark and stormy too. The first thing I wanted to do was call my children, to tell them I love them, to reassure myself that they are OK. But more than anything I wanted to gather them together under my wings, to protect them from the bruising realities of life. When my children turned 18 – they wanted to leave and venture out into the world. At the time I was OK with that. They needed those experiences which would help define who they are.

But now, I want them home, with all their baggage and dependents in tow. I want to protect them and shield them from the realities that cause pain and suffering. I want them to feel safe.

In the scriptures we read often the Savior using the analogy of gathering His people as a hen gathers her chickens under her wings. It was especially powerful to me when reading in the Book of Mormon, 3 Nephi 10: 1-6, as the Savior speaks to the people in the America’s after His resurrection - promising to gather His people as a hen gathers her chickens - to be nourished and protected.

Because the world is dark and stormy, I want to remind my children that if they cannot gather under my wings, they can always seek after our Savior. He loves you even more, and I will meet you there, under his wings, to be nourished and strengthened with His love.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm so blessed to always feel safe with you and Dad. There is nothing I want more than to feel that way and my kids to feel that as well. Thank you for the reminder and thoughts. I love you!!!

Aspen said...

I like what you shared about 3 Nephi 10:1-6. It is a beautiful enlightening and hopeful section of the scriptures. When I read through it I noticed there's some tenses that stand out.

“How oft would I have gathered you” (5)

“How oft will I gather you” (6)

Clearly this is part and parcel of the Lord’s eternal work. He never stops. Verse 4’s reference seems to indicate there’s been some successes. We can think of glorious times in the history of the earth when the Lord’s people have gathered together to build temples and strive to become a Zion people.
Isn't it beautiful that the Lord never stops and continues His eternal work. I am thrilled inside to think that some day I will be like Him.
Here's another great article on a Hen gathering her chickens.

https://scripturenotes.com/as-a-hen-gathereth-her-chickens?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=study_topic_1_as_a_hen_gathereth_her_chickens&utm_term=2020-02-17