Wednesday, February 4, 2009

WHAT THE WORLD NEEDS NOW



I have tried to establish relationships with the sisters in our ward; but for the most part I have felt disconnected with the members. It has been difficult. The members who have been here for many years have a hard time opening up their hearts to the transient members. One such sister admitted that her attitude has been, "Why put forth the effort in trying to know them, they are going to leave!" This made me sad, because I most likely will be one of those transient members - and I think that I have something to offer!

Anyway - this past Sunday was Fast and Testimony Meeting. It was a good meeting. However, as I was listening to some of the sisters speaking, it came to me that these women needed a hug. So after Sacrament meeting, I went up to those women and gave them a hug. It felt good to do that. Then when we were in Relief Society, I had another impression that I needed to seek out a Spanish sister in our ward and give her a hug too. As I was waiting for the meeting to end, the spirit filled my heart and whispered to me that there were a lot of lonely women in that room that needed me to reach out to them. It was if the veil parted and I was able to see these sisters as our Heavenly Father saw them, and feel how much He loved every one.

After the closing prayer, I bee-lined it over to Sis. Gomez. It was if she was waiting for me. I spoke with her a bit, and then told her that I needed to give her a hug and tell her how much I loved her, which she quickly responded and hugged me back. Then she looked up at me with tears in her eyes and a look that said, "Thank you. I needed someone to say they cared."

Such a sweet feeling came over me and an assurance that I needed to always be willing to share a smile and hug with others. It is what everyone, even the whole world,needs.

So for those reading this post, though you may be few - know that I love you.

Trying to love as God loves is powerful - try it.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

The true power is when we let go of thinking that other people need to accomadate us and our needs and we forget about ourselves.

It's amazing that we usually get our own needs met while trying to help others.

I know this scenario that you are talking of...it is one of the #1 complaints I have heard about church in Utah.

I was always like you...I never let it stop me from making myself known.

ANd, yeah, they have all forgot about me about now, but I haven't forgotten about them.

LOVED THIS POST!

Camie said...

Thank you so much for this post and reminder that I need to do better at noticing those who are around me. I seem to rush through life, taking no thought of how others are feeling. What a wonderful and intune person you are. I'm sure Heavenly Father is so grateful that he can rely on you to listening to the spirit so that he can bless the lives of others.

Dave and Loralee said...

Mom, you are so good at knowing what others need and showing people that they are loved. You've ALWAYS been good at that-it's part of your character, and it's something I've always admired in you.
I LOVE YOU!

ann-marie said...

you give good hugs. :)