Sunday, December 14, 2008

MOTAB IN CONCERT



This evening Von and I attended the Mormon Tabernacle Christmas Concert, with guests Brian Stokes Mitchell and Edward Herrman. It was an incredible evening. Neither one of us had been to the Conference Center for an event. And of course I forgot my camera!

The MoTab was beautiful, the Orchestra on Temple Square were superb, and I think Max Wilberg is a genius, but besides that, the guest soloist had an incredible voice. I believe he is African-American, or at least part. His range of vocals was vast, but the best was when he used his deep gutteral sounds, which just bubbled out, rich and strong. He had arranged a number of the songs he, the choir and orchestra sang and played together.

And then Herrman did a narrative of the life of Longfellow, and the history behind the song "I Heard the Bells on Christmas Day." I have heard it before, but he did such a beautiful job, and then the vocals to accompany it.

The MoTab sang the Hallelujah Chorus, and everyone stood! I love that song. It brings back memories of when I was in high school, and the choir I was in sang it. Back in the 70s, our director had some "techno" music to accompany us, which was really cool back then. But what I remember most was the part the soprano's sang - the notes just kept getting higher and higher, and sustaining those high notes was a feat unto itself!


Music is powerful. Hearing and singing those ole' familiar carols once again does bring a sweet spirit of remembrance to this Christmas season. How I wish my voice had the ability to sing like it once did!

No comments: